Friday, August 22, 2008

First Week of First Grade

This has been a very difficult week for our little guy. Nathan loved Kindergarten so I really didn't expect that 1st grade would be a big deal, but I have since learned that 1st grade is a much bigger change than Kindergarten.
For the first 3 days Nathan was a "Later Gator" meaning he went from 9:15-3:30. He came home happy each day, but once we started talking I could tell something(s) wasn't right. The biggest problem was lunch time. He doesn't like eating at school. He doesn't like that the teacher just drops them off in the lunch room and leaves. He misses me and doesn't like how the "lifeguard" tells him where to sit. Greg went and had lunch with him on Wednesday only to see first hand what a hard time Nate was having with the freedom that some kids love. Nate hasn't been eating much at school which makes him REALLY hungry when he gets home. Being a teacher myself, I know how important it is for kids to eat in able to pay attention. Greg got really emotional when he got back and it is so hard for me to know what to do. Wednesday afternoon I decided to change Nathan to an "Early Bird" (8-2:15) and the last 2 days he has come home much happier. It does make mornings a little crazy, but hopefully it will help us all get up and ready earlier. I still worry about him and eating at school, but hopefully we will figure things out as time goes on. One thing that I realized is that Nathan will no longer eat lunch with us, just like Greg. How weird?! I have been eating with him for 6 and a half years and now he is gone and I just have the 2 little ones. Hopefully next week will be much better and Nathan will figure things out and be okay with growing up.

10 comments:

Karlie said...

Brinley has had a few hard days this week too. It's just a BIG change. Early bird has been good for us too. 6 hours is just a long time, I'm missing her!!

Autumn said...

I think the biggest stress of 1st grade is for sure school lunch! When Camry and Easton did 1st grade they had a 6th grade buddy to help them get their tray and sit with them...are they not doing that anymore? I think that helped them a ton...maybe you could suggest that! Good luck!

Jason and Kristin said...

I hear ya. Each day Graham eats less and less of the lunch I send. Mostly he's just really concerned about getting out to recess. I happened to be checking out the lunchroom myself the day Greg came. They were having the 6th grade buddies walk them to their seat but it wasn't super helpful as I watched Graham somehow get skipped. I was glad I was there to show him the way. Then they just get corralled to a table and they just have to eat by whatever random person the end up by. It made me kind of sad. I try not to think about it. In fact, I told myself that I have to think of lunch time as snack time and then I just feed him again when I get home since he isn't eating much at school. Wow, I guess I had a lot to say about that :) I 'm happy you guys are early birds too!

Whitney said...

When I was little, lunch was a stress for me because I am a slow eater and I could never finish my lunch in the time we were given.

Reading this broke my heart. I hope things get better soon. I'm a little nervous for my boys starting kindergarten too.

Christina said...

I'm sorry he's having a hard time. Poor kid. Something that helped Auburn was putting a little note in her lunch and some kids of surprise food that we don't normally eat at home. She would complain about not having enough time to eat so we tried to put things in there that didn't take so long to chew, etc. (They rush those little kids!)Here they have all day kindergarten. Kyla will go from 8:10am to 2:15pm. I am worried about how she will handle it. It is such a long day for a little kid. (Have you also tried a back-to-school father's blessing?) Hang in there. -christina

Amy Jones said...

I hadn't thought about the whole lunch thing...I'm glad I have a year to figure out the whole thing and prep Lindy and myself for it. I really hope that switching him to the morning helps out. Good luck.

Tracy said...

Grumpy says he is willing to come and give candy to all the kids to sit by Nate (JK)...we miss you Nate - and love you too! Ask Mom to sing you the song "Make new friends."

Aubri n Scott said...

I am so sorry to hear he is having a hard time adjusting. It is a big change! Just have a good snack for him at home when he gets home. Maybe even if you packed a sack lunch for him he might be more willing to eat it? I used to do that with Kylie and Amanda with little notes of encouragement in there so they knew that I was still very close to them and they could call me when ever they needed. They weren't long embarassing notes, just something like, I hope you are having a great day on a sticky note on top of their sandwich. This really seemed to help! Good Luck! We will be thinking of you for sure!

megan said...

em - we need to hang out! call me - six eight seven, six seven two five.

Anonymous said...

ya so the pic of us three - i looked not so hot...sorry, couldn't post it, just couldn't do it...next time i will have to strike a more "sexy" pose i guess next time - heres to next time!