Sunday, September 21, 2008

Never Say Never

I have learned that I am a very different person from my youth. I don't give up on things as much as I did back then (piano, violin, sports). I have said many times that I would never do something, but now, good or bad, do that very thing. Here are a couple:
  • I told myself when I was having a girl that I would NOT paint her toes until she was older (5+). Well, Annie was fussy one day and when I mentioned painting her nails she got happy. Wahoo! A quick and easy way to make her happy. Oh well, whatever works.
  • Some friends kept talking about how they loved to go and work out in the early morning (6am!) and I thought they were nuts. Well, ever since June I have been going 4 times a week and I LOVE it. I love my muscles (sorry no pic) and I love getting going in the morning. I love pushing myself in the classes and also getting back in the pool. I pray that I will be able to make it all winter.
  • Baking bread. I was content buying bread and though I wanted to learn how to make a good loaf, I never thought I wouldn't buy bread anymore, but I haven't for months and months. Thanks to Pantry Secrets I am in love with making bread, and all of their other yummy great ideas.
  • Here is a big one. Sewing. I really never thought I would learn to sew more than a button onto a pair of pants or a shirt. Now I can't wait to learn new things. I have been working on my Fall table runner and decided to learn how to piece. I mapped it out on graph paper and then made a few mistakes before I got it right. And then, to top it off, I decided to learn how to quilt using my machine. Thanks a bunch to Holly's support and encouragement! I am so proud of my first project.

I have learned over the years that nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it and just try. I love trying new things and eventually succeeding in them. I am starting to look into canning a little, but since it is coming on to winter I think I will have to wait for that until next year. I look forward to getting older and wiser I learning more fun and exciting things.

9 comments:

Amy Jones said...

Em, I just love your "fall" table runner! And, to top it off, you did a fabulous job on the machine-quilting. Good job...on all of it. :)

Lindsay said...

Your table runner looks great!!!!

Whitney said...

I really am so impressed. You're my inspiration.

Fiddlefish said...

You go, girl! Good for you!

Tara B.

Erin said...

Good for you!! You need to pass along your new found sewing skills to me okay!

Courtney said...

Way to go girl! I haven't found a loaf of bread in Nebraska that we like, I might need to start making our bread! And way to go on early morning workouts, I wish I did that!

Aubri n Scott said...

You are so cute! Good for you! I am glad that someone doesn't give up~!

Brittney said...

bravo, em! but i must say, i don't know if we can still be friends...i just can't keep up with your ambition, talents, or creativity. dah well. you win. :)

Tara Ann said...

You are so amazing Emily!