Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Callie Terese is Here!!


After Thursday night's let down I promised myself I wouldn't go again and be turned away. But, Friday night I was having contractions stronger and closer together. I wasn't ready to go but Greg was worried so he convinced me to go, and then we were sent home again. Sigh. I got a fairly good night of sleep but woke Saturday morning with really BAD contractions, but they were 10-15 minutes apart. They got a little closer but not 3-5 minutes. Still I was in a LOT of pain, so much that it was scaring the kids with my moaning and crying, that I finally said we could go. This time when I walked in, with tears streaming down my face, I was offered a wheelchair (which I declined since I wanted to keep the contractions coming so they wouldn't send me home again), and as soon as I walked into Labor and Delivery they could tell it was the real deal and whisked me away to a delivery room. I was at a 7 and the nurses raced around me getting everything ready for the baby. Luckily my doctor was already there, although the anesthesiologist took a bit of time. I didn't have time for an epidural so they gave me a spinal block which was quick and nice, but kind of eerie. My legs went completely numb. The nurses would pick them up to move them but it would still feel like my legs were lying straight-very weird! We got to the hospital about 9:30 and Callie was born at 11:38. She weighed 8 lbs even and was 19.5 inches long-my smallest baby. They gave her to me right away, a first, and I couldn't believe how little she was.


The rest of the morning Callie got cleaned up while I moved downstairs. Greg went and got the kids who were SO excited to meet their new sister. They were all smiles as they got to hold her and see me again (and watch Cartoon Network on the hospital TV). So many neighbors helped us on Saturday (and before) and it is so nice to know that while I don't have my own family nearby I do have some great friends. Greg went home to sleep with the kids and I had a great night of sleep at the hospital-sleeping on my tummy never felt so nice! Sunday was a very relaxing day. I was able to take the Sacrament from the LDS branch in the hospital and then my family and Kayley's family and Grandma Pam came to visit. Pam took the kids to her house for the day and so Greg and I got to relax together. Grandpa Raymond came to visit and even though Callie slept that whole time it was nice to chat. Greg went to Pam's for dinner and to pick up the kids. They came to say goodnight with some other cousins and then I was left alone again. I didn't mind. I got another good night of sleep and got lots of mom and Callie time.

Monday morning I was more than ready to go home. It felt great to get dressed and then I struggled through getting Callie dressed-she is just so teeny and I don't want to hurt her. After all the paperwork we made it downstairs and in the car. Callie fell asleep in the car (I hope she always does this) and we had about an hour at home before the kids started coming home. Later Greg took Annabelle to Costco for a much needed trip. Ryan wanted to stay home and help with Callie. He was reading that book to her. Nathan loves his new sister and I even let him hold her on the couch while I went to the bathroom. I think I would only trust him with that though. Annabelle is a bit emotional. She likes to hold her, but only for a few seconds. She likes to look at her fingers and toes but if Callie starts crying she gets a scared look on her face. Annabelle has had quite a few breakdowns and I just need to make sure that I give her lots of love.
Last night was my first night without the nursery and I won't lie, I missed it. It probably didn't help that my milk came in and I was uncomfortable while Callie struggled to eat. Oh well. We will figure it out eventually.
I am so happy that the pregnancy part is over and we have our little girl. I am so grateful that she is healthy and relatively happy. I love that Greg has the whole week off and is able to help me so much. I also lucked out and my little sister came out (sad that it was for a funeral) and so she is ready to help me as well. A big thank you to all those that have helped us out this last week. I can't promise much from myself. I want to take it as easy as possible and make the transition for our family as calm and happy as can be expected now that we have a "party of six".

15 comments:

Laurie said...

Congratulations, Emily! What a beautiful baby. I can't wait to be in your position. I keep telling myself, two more weeks, I can do two more weeks.....

Ann said...

Yeah, I've been waiting and waiting for updates and pictures! Congrats to you and your beautiful new little girl and your lovely family!

Jordan and Crystal said...

so exciting!!! Glad everything went well

Webster Family said...

BEAUTIFUL! So glad all is well. My kids are so excited about their new cousin! Can't wait to meet her!

Whitney said...

She looks so much like Ryan! Congratulations! You guys have a beautiful family. We will give you some time before we come for a visit.

Courtney said...

Congrats Greg and Emily! So happy for you and your family, can't wait to meet her!

Christina said...

I kept checking your blog for updates...but knew I had to patient! I'm so glad to hear everything went well...but sorry to hear that you had to wait until you couldnt' bear the pain anymore before going the third. That must have been discouraging...but better to be sent home than have the baby at home unexpectedly. She is a doll. You are so right not to expect much of yourself. Take it easy, don't make plans, keep your shedule free and give yourself all the time you need to adjust. Four is a handful so be patient with yourself. Congratulations. love you!

Jason and Kristin said...

Look at all of that hair! So happy for you guys.

Raechal said...

Yay!! congrats on your beautiful little girl! and I hear you on the sleeping on your tummy thing! next to having a new baby that is my FAVORITE part about being done with being pregnant.

Fiddlefish said...

She is a CUTIE PIE! Glad you all are doing well.

Tia said...

She's adorable! Congratulations!!!

Jodi Jo said...

She is beautiful Emily. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the pictures. I am so glad that she made it here safe. Yay!

Kaity said...

Hooray! Welcome home Em and Callie! I wished we lived closer at times like this.

Christina said...

I forgot to mention I love her name. Cali is Auburn's middle name. Is Callie's middle name after yours?

Erin said...

she is so perfect! Call me and let me know when you are up for me to come she that princess!!

We are only using our cell phones now. so call me on that.

Congrats!!!!!