Monday, September 13, 2010

Heber Valley Campout

This last weekend Greg's family had a little reunion up in Heber.  The three older kids were great!  I didn't have to have my eye on them at all times.  I didn't have to worry about them much at mealtimes.  And they all slept through the night.  Callie had started to show signs of the cold her cousins in CA had and this weekend only made it worse.  She was a trooper though and did okay.  However she did throw up all over the place on the way home and has been completely hoarse ever since. 
The kids were the wood gatherers.  I was really impressed with how well they were able to handle that wheelbarrow.
Here is Callie in her Bumbo.  Thanks to a facebook plea I got this for free from a neighbor.  She seemed to like it okay.
Mealtime was crazy with so many little cousins.  I think they all ate enough.  If not, there were s'mores later that night to fill them up.
I'm not sure who found this huge stick/branch.  But Nathan was proud of it and wanted a picture.
On Saturday morning we did a challenge course.  The first part was to climb a pole, walk across a log and then zip line to the bottom.  I missed Greg and Nathan but got there in time to see Ryan.  He, like Nathan, didn't make it to the top but was able to swing back and forth after climbing about halfway.
 I really wanted to be able to do this.  I was really nervous and wanted to stop a couple times.  The nice missionaries there, plus my family on the ground, helped me have the courage to keep going.  Greg took a video of the climb and my zip line.  I might have him fix those up and put them on later.

One of our challenges was to walk on these wires that spread away from each other.  It was really hard and even though they told us not to stick out our bums, I obviously didn't listen.
This challenge was to get all of our family from one side of the "boat" to the "island" on the other side. Greg and his brothers first had to use belts and a hoodie to lasso the swinging rope.  Then everyone took turns swinging across.  I didn't hold on high enough or keep my legs up high enough, but we all eventually made it across to safety.  Annabelle tried her best to swing like the rest of us.
All in all we had a great time.  I made it known to everyone that next time we have to go for more than 1 night.  Getting things packed and ready to go combined with all the clean up, makes a 20 hour trip a little crazy and almost not worth it.  The kids were all sad to go. 

5 comments:

Amy said...

Emily - I'm working on next year's family reunion. Where did you go?

Courtney said...

How fun, so sad when we have to miss family things like this. Can't wait until we live closer. We miss you all

Webster Family said...

Callie looks so different with a hat on--a little chunky even! :)

Jason and Kristin said...

How fun! We went there for New Year's Eve and I totally agree that its a lot of packing and hauling for one night.

Tracy said...

Wow - this place looks like lots of fun!! nana