Thursday, April 14, 2011

Missing Out?

Over the years I have fallen more and more behind in the world of technology and "what is cool."  I don't know all of the codes for texting so I just write thing out when I do my occasional text.  I don't follow who is the newest and best singer.  For the longest time I thought people were saying Beaver instead of Beiber.  I don't play games or take quizzes on Facebook, I hardly ever post on there anyway.  And I never go to You Tube inless someone sends a link and it sounds interesting enough to take the time to go and watch it.  Am I missing out?  I don't really think so.  But last night Greg wanted to catch me up to 2011 and shared some of the more popular You Tube videos with me. 
Rebecca Black and her Friday video was his first choice.  It really is amazing how many people are on the internet and how many people watch these videos.  More than 100 million!!  And she is now famous and on talk shows?!  And the video wasn't even that cool.  Some of the remakes were funny.
Next Greg showed me a guy named Jervy.  He is a musician who plays mulitple instruments and then puts them all together.  He also redid the Friday song and a song by Rhianna, "Umbrella".  Greg first showed me Rhianna's version and I was disgusted by it.  I love that we don't have cable and my kids never see things like that.  Then he showed my Jervy's version and it was fabulous. 
Next up was a guy who does Disney songs.  He sings the girl part and the boy part.  I think his title was Disney singing guy or something. It was pretty funny.
Actually I have known about one video, Kid History, for a couple weeks now.  The kids love it and can quote it!!  They talk about doing their own video. We shall see.
I am glad that I know more about You Tube and what a meme is or what "going viral" means.  But, am I missing out?  No.  I just have a different set of things to do and I am okay if that doesn't leave me endless time to look up funny or popular things on the internet.  I may not be the hippest mom around, but I like the bubble I live in and the bubbles my kids live in.  Some day they will pop and I will deal with it, but for now we are happy.

3 comments:

Webster Family said...

you're hilarious. Just so you know-we don't even text. It is turned off of our phones. I wonder if Ben & I are the only ones in the world w/ Iphones that do not text. :) And I do not care one bit!

Tara said...

We don't watch TV here unless we choose something off Netflix, or the kids watch Qubo. I only watch Youtube if I get a forward from somebody. I, too, thought Beiber was Beaver at first. And a handful of other things. You and I, friend, are a lot alike. The only thing we are missing out on is a lot of glorified filth, and I'm pretty okay with missing out on that. :)

Tracy said...

Well said!! love mom