Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Confessions of a Cook-a-Holic

Hi, I am Emily and I am a cook/recipe/chef-a-holic. 
I think I've known this for awhile, but Sunday night I finally was able to verbalize it to Greg and he immediately agreed.  Lucky for him, he said it very nicely, "I have been thinking that too."  I LOVE to cook.  I LOVE to find new recipes.  I LOVE when Greg comes home and tells me how awesome my food is.  I LOVE when the kids like what I make.  I LOVE bringing yummy dishes to family or friends houses and they enjoy them.  
BUT, I am doing it too much, at the price of my family.  
In my Power of Mom's learning circle this month we talked about balance and at first I thought I had that okay.  I felt like I had a lot of me time (less with summer, but I still manage to squeeze some in), and that I did a lot for my kids, my husband, my calling and my friends.  That sounds balanced, right?
Then Sunday came around.  
For breakfast I tried a buttermilk carmel syrup (1) over sourdough french toast.  YUM!!  I started the Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream  (2) before church since it had to chill all day before churning it.  After church I made grilled onions and potatoes (3) for Greg to cook outside.  Next up was the salmon with an orange marmalade marinade (4).  We shelled a bunch of peas from our garden to go with dinner (5) and when the salmon was done I threw in the pesto and mozzarella bread (6) that was done after we started dinner so it didn't get eaten all that much.  I am exhausted thinking about it all.  Why did I do this?  We weren't having guests, I just LOVE to cook.  I get validation from it. I get praise.  As a mom I don't get a lot of validation and praise from my kids very often, or from anyone.  But with my cooking, I do.  
At church in Relief Society we had a lesson on family responsibilities.  And that is where it hit me.  Greg thankfully had Callie and I was able to sit and really listen to the lesson.  Sarah talked about how a mother's main role is to nurture.  And like usual, I thought, "I'm doing good with that."  Then I really thought about it and that is when I realized that I cook WAY too much.  I try to try as many recipes as I can in a month, in a week, in a day as you can see from my Sunday story.  WOW!  
So now I have accepted the truth.  I know what I am doing wrong.  But it is something I love so how can I stop or slow down?  How can I not try new recipes?  How will my ego hold up if no one is telling me I am good at something?  I'm not sure yet how I will cut back.  I will.  Maybe it will be just 3 new recipes a week.  Or less.  Maybe we will eat out more, even though I am mostly disappointed when we go out now since I have become a bit of a food snob.  I am not sure yet what is my next step.  But I am conscious of the fact that I need to get out of the kitchen and back with my kids more.  I know it will help me be a better mom and less stressed out and exhausted at the end of the day.  That is how I will find more balance in my life. 

5 comments:

Tara Ann said...

You are too funny. I just wish I was there to enjoy the spoils. Don't be so hard on yourself. If you love cooking, then it too is part of your "me time." Love you big sis! You are a wonderful mom.

Tracy said...

Don't you remember cooking with me? Make it a date time for different kids. You told me they like to pick the recipes -then have them help with it too. I love to brag that all of my kid knew how to break eggs before they were 2 years old! this gives you mommy and me time - and they get to enjoy the praise (or even the disappointment). They learn to appreciate your efforts and discover that some times things don't work out...but there's always next time. PS...I would tone back on Sunday - WOW. love mom

Tracy said...

PS - and think of all the math skills they can learn! :o) nana

Annette said...

Taste of Home watch out! I love to cook and try new recipes too./

Christina said...

I like Tracy's comment. Wise mom. :)

You should post your family's favorite recipes!! :)