Wednesday, January 4, 2012

BREAD

Flash back 4 years ago and I was always making my own bread.  I had found a great no-fail recipe from a class I took (www.pantrysecrets.net).  I loved having fresh homemade bread always around and I thought I would never go back.  Then I got pregnant with Callie and I was SO tired that I not only stopped making bread, that is when I also stopped going to the gym.  Fast forward to Christmas a week ago.  Greg gave me one of these beauties:
 
 I had been wanting one for awhile but since I wasn't really ready to start making bread again I couldn't justify the cost.  Well, since I started going back to the gym I guess it was time for me to start making bread again.  This time around I am going to stick to whole or half wheat.  It is SO yummy!  The recipe I am using right now is from another class I went to (everydayfoodstorage.net).  My house smelled SO fabulous on the two days that I have made bread.  I am not sure if I will be able to go back to always making bread, but my goal is to make 2 loaves a week.
 
One bonus for my return to bread making is the fact that I will have to replace my 10 and a 1/2 year old Kitchen Aid sooner rather than later.  It does fine with cookies and mashed potatoes, but it struggles with bread.  I am looking forward to a future purchase of a Bosch Universal Mixer.

2 comments:

Christina said...

YUM! Your bread looks SO delicious!

Whitney said...

I am hearing more and more that Kitchen Aids just can't keep up with bread and burn out the motor. Bummer.

I used to do half wheat flour half white flour so it wasn't too heavy, but have switched to half red wheat half white wheat and I think it tastes better--with the recipe I am using anyway--and I am happy that it is all wheat. I also found a loaf pan and storage tupperwares that fit the loaves that I really like.

Anyway, let's make bread together sometime. I would love to learn your bread secrets.