Monday, October 19, 2015

Relief Society President

 Last Sunday I got called and set apart to be the Relief Society President of my neighborhood ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  When the bishop extended me this call I had MANY feelings of doubt and fear.  I hadn't been a president of anything since I was 17!  For those of you who have no idea what a Relief Society President is, I am over the spiritual and temporal welfare of more than 145 women that live around me.  I know many of them since I have lived here for 11.5 years, but there are at least 45 that I do not know and many more who I want/need to get to know.  I was very overwhelmed but the Bishop assured me that this call was from the Lord, not from him.  I know he was right.  I went to the temple the very next morning.  I fasted and prayed and choose a two amazing ladies to be my counselors and a secretary.  Over the next week before I was sustained I read books about women who have loved and served, women with faith and courage.  I was so very nervous last Sunday when I stood up, and then everyone sustained me as their Relief Society President and a lot of my fear started to dissipate.  My mom sent me a text that morning telling me that she sustained me, and that she wished she was able to be there.  Later that day I was given a special blessing from my bishop.  Ever since then things have fallen into place.  My life is going to change.  I have more responsibility than ever before.  But, thanks to that blessing, I know that I will be able to accomplish all that God wants me to accomplish.  I know that I will rely on my Savior to get me through tough times that are sure to lie ahead.  I am so thankful that Gregory supports me 100%.  He told me that he "has known" I was going to get this call.  He has already been a huge support as I have been struggling with all the re-organization that I have had to figure out.  I am so thankful to my kiddos.  First, because they are old enough to take care for a lot of their needs, and second because they understand what I am doing and have encouraged me and talked to me about decisions I have had to make.  I told them that they need to tell me if I am ever slacking in the mom department since they are my most important calling.  I know that this will not be an easy calling.  I thought teaching from the New Testament was hard, but this will stretch me more than ever.  I know that I can do anything with my Savior by my side.  I know that He will hear and answer my prayers and guide me to do what He needs to have done.  I am so thankful that He trusts me with so many of His daughters.  I only pray for His constant support.
 
 Life is going to get crazy, but at least we get to rest sometimes and listen to beautiful "flute" concerts by cute 9 year olds.


No comments: