Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Nathan's 9th Birthday

 It is official, I am getting old.  I have a nine year old.  I didn't even live at home when my little brother turned nine.  I have no idea what to do anymore.  Luckily Nathan is a fabulous little man and I am sure he will help me figure it out.  Nathan couldn't have been happier than getting his very own ipod for his birthday (don't tell him that is was a really old ipod we bought of my little brother a few years ago).  He danced around the house all morning and after school.  He was so proud of it.  So far he is loving the ABBA songs on it.  I took the girls with me to have lunch with Nathan.  I offered to take him somewhere but he preferred I eat at school with him.  First the class sang to him (I took a video and somehow it didn't take so I am glad I got one picture).  The class tried to make him turn red and Nathan said he was trying really hard not to.  After we passed out donuts we headed to lunch.
  
Lunch was just as I remembered it.  Callie loved the potatoes and gravy while my favorite part was the chocolate milk.  The kids are so rushed in the lunchroom and Nathan really wanted to go outside and play so Annie just put her lunch on the stroller and we headed outside.  We played Red Rover until I could tell Callie was freezing.  It was a lot of fun watching and being with Nathan.  He loved having me there and as one of the school's secretaries said, "showing me off."  
 For dinner we had Nate's Favorite-hot dogs.  I boiled them since we had just 45 minutes between scouts and basketball to eat and be ready.  Man, they are much better BBQued, but luckily Nate loved them just the same.
 After Ryan's game we let Nathan climb the rock wall.  You pay for an hour but after he climbed to the top 3 or 4 times he was done.  Oh well.  We went home and played with new toys before his game started.
 
 Nathan wanted separate parties this year.  I told him that it meant I was not going to do a huge themed party and he was luckily okay with that.  We invited friends over for cake and ice cream and a movie.  We watched "The Borrowers."  It is from the 90s and luckily none of the kids had seen it.  From what I saw, they all seemed to enjoy it.  It was a long night but I guess 9 year olds are used to staying up later and everyone was happy and got along. 
It is crazy to think how fast time flies.  I know everyone says it, but seriously, wasn't Nathan just a little toddler stacking sprinkle jars on top of each other and clapping at his talents?  Wasn't he just learning to write his name and BINGO on the sidewalk with chalk?  Didn't he just start kindergarten and learn to read?  Time really flies.  The secretary at the school also told me that she thought it was great that I was coming to eat with Nathan because sooner or later he won't want me to anymore.  She's right.  I need to hold on to these times as much as I can.  Happy Birthday Nathan!  We love you So much!
 

2 comments:

Tara Ann said...

What a great way to have 2 parties, make it fun for the boys, and easy for you! Great idea. And, you are so lucky that you can go to their school so easily, I have to fill out paperwork and have a background check, which I still haven't done. I should get on that.

Tracy said...

What a great birthday!! I love rock walls too. Happy bday to my oldest grandchild - I love you! Nana