Friday, March 25, 2011

Pinewood Derby

That's right folks, we had our first experience building and racing a pinewood derby car for Cub Scouts.  It was a fun and educational experience.  I wish I got some photos of Nathan and Greg working on the car, but these will have to do:
 
 Nathan and Greg decided to stain the car, instead of paint it.  The screws on top are the eyes and we put washers on to get the right weight.  Perhaps it was wrong to have all the weight in the front.  We are no experts.  Below is Nathan doing the countdown and pushing the button to go.  The announcer was REALLY into it and REALLY chatty.  But, I think the boys all loved it.
While Nathan's car was no where near the fastest, it wasn't the slowest either.  We have some pretty intense dads in our pack-one at least who has his own track in his garage-so we are just happy that the car stayed on the track and Nathan had fun.
Callie is everywhere these days so I wasn't able to stay and watch the races.  I hung out in the hall or a toy room, getting drinks from the drinking fountain (and getting soaked), or just trying to keep her from falling into someone or something.  It was a long night.  The best part for me was the yummy treats I made-chocolate carmel bars-they were so chewy and delicious I just had to eat a couple, and a couple more today.

 
 

2 comments:

Jason and Kristin said...

Jason LOVED those chocolate caramel bars! The derby was fun and some people get REALLY into it. We had a great turn out. You guys do such a good job!

Tracy said...

What a beautiful car Nathan...maybe you'll design cars...so many talents!!
Callie - you are so grown up!
love Nana