Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 3: Build a Sandcastle

 
Honestly I wasn't too sure we were going to get anything crossed off today.  Greg ended up having to work all day so that changed things.  Don't get me wrong, we were busy all day.  We cleaned the house, did laundry, weeded, harvested our veggies, made apricot fruit leather and more, but nothing from our box.  All those yummy apricots have their own story, but my camera went crazy and lost all the pictures.  A older couple in our neighborhood have a farm and offered anyone to come and pick their apricots.  We rode our bikes over there and had a blast getting to know them better and picking some fruit.  The farm has been in the family for years.  The current owner was born there, as was his father and grandfather in the 1890's.  Kay, the wife, rode her tractor out the apricots, picking grapes for  my kids as we went.  Her husband got an old ladder for us and both Nathan and I were brave enough to climb up and pick the yummy fruit.  We got a huge bucket full.  After the fruit leather there is still plenty to eat and make jam.  YUMMY!
 
 Evening was rolling in and I was thinking that I would just have to say that the everyday stuff was our countdown.  But, at the last moment the kids headed to the sand box.  Hooray!!  While I now have sand all over my bathroom and it was a pain to get it out of hair, the kids built a sand castle.  Or at least tried to with Callie trying to break it down.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Whoa! You are one energy-packed mom to have so many activities going on each day of summer. My "card of the day" would have stopped after the way fun bike ride to the farm for apricots. But you keep going and going. Please tell me your secret to endless stamina!! P.S. Those temple drawings are very cute!

Tara Ann said...

oh my goodness Emily. Can I just say that I really wish I was your neighbor. I want some fruit leather! What fun you have with your kids. They are so lucky. I miss you tons!