Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Life

How can I take a picture about life.  Life is always happening.  Always changing and always worth mentioning so that some day we can look back and remember the crazy times, the happy times and the not so happy times. 
A couple weeks ago we were taking the kids down to Grandma's house so they could have a big cookie party with her and a bunch of other cousins.  Greg and I were REALLY looking forward to 4 hours of fun, shopping and kid-free moments.  When we turned off the freeway the car made a not so great sound and continued to make the sound as we drove the rest of the way to Grandma's.  Once there I took the kids in and Greg looked at the car.  While looking he noticed that my front tires were COMPLETELY bald.  He was shocked that I hadn't noticed.  So for the first hour of our date we got 2 new tires and found out our car needed a lot more work done (Merry Christmas), but it was okay to drive.  We made the most of our detour and ran over to Wal-Mart in the FREEZING wind and gathered a few gifts we needed.  I have to admit, it was fun to be a little spontaneous with Greg, as parents we don't get to do that much.  We made it through the afternoon and finished most of our shopping and ate a wonderful lunch at Ruby River.  We still haven't fixed our car, but after Christmas we will probably get to that.
Sickness.  We had been so healthy for so long that it finally caught up to us.  Last Monday after the piano recital Nathan was not feeling good.  He had a fever, headache, and a sore throat.  We took him to the doc on Tuesday to find out he wasn't sick enough for meds.  I hate that.  He stayed home the rest of the week from school.  I don't think he has ever been that sick.  He didn't complain much, just laid around with a fever and headache.  Thankfully by Friday evening he was feeling better but then that night Callie decided to get sick.  I didn't even try to take her to the doctor's since I knew the answer- "virus, just tough it out."  She, unlike Nathan, has complained a ton, and whined a ton and cried a ton.  It takes a lot of energy to be a happy, smiley mom amidst that kind of torture.  Miss Callie is very independent right now and so she doesn't want much help, but you kind of need extra help when your not feeling great.  Today is the first day she has been more happy than sad.  It has been wonderful!!  But unfortunately she fell asleep and I have to wake her up in 1/2 hour so I can go help in Annabelle's class Christmas party.  I think she'll be fine once we get there, but the waking up part is NOT fun!  Annabelle would be devastated if I missed her party.  She has been looking forward to it for a long time.
Family life isn't easy.  Sometimes Greg and I are so pleased as we watch our kids play together and do things together.  Other times we wonder why we can't get through a game of Simon Says without fighting.  We want things to be fun for our kids, but sometimes they can't seem to get past the fairness issue or someone looked at them in a wrong way at the wrong time.  I cherish moments like last night when we read scriptures and, said Family prayer and then we just sat around laughing and helping Nathan figure out how many words he could make using the word "mistletoe".  I think he left the house today with over 105!  Those are the times I want to remember.  Those are the times that I hold on to when there is sadness or contention or sickness.  I am so blessed that my little ones ONLY got a fever and a cold.  They aren't in the hospital, they don't have a serious, life-threatening illness.  They will get better and be back to the happy and energetic and fun kids that I know them to be.  I look forward to that time and it helps me put things in perspective.  Especially when I am up late singing a song to Ryan in the middle of the night and he asks me to pray for him to feel better in the morning, and then he does.
I am so grateful to my Savior who hears and answers my pleas in the night.  I am so grateful that He knows what I am going through and gives me the strength and energy to get through these small trials (that seem oh so big to me).  I am REALLY looking forward to Christmas this year.  My parents arrive on Saturday and while the last thing I want is to have a sick child while they are here, I know that what is important is that we are all together and that we give thanks for the birth of the Savior and all that He has done and continues to do for us.


1 comment:

Courtney said...

Yay for a night out without the kids. Yay for cookie time at grandma's house. Boo for sickness. Boo for difficult kids fighting. YAY FOR CHRISTMAS AND FAMILY COMING TO VISIT YOU! Miss you