Thursday, February 20, 2014

Happy #12 Nathan!!

 I can not believe that my Nathan is 12 year old.  Where in the world did the time go?!  I remember being 12.  I am so proud and amazed at this awesome young man!  at our house we get to pick the menu all day on our birthdays.  For breakfast Nathan picked Felix French Toast.  We were even lucky enough to have Grandpa Felix come over for breakfast since it was a holiday.  He hadn't had this family breakfast in years.  Nathan got new roller blade wheels, a Munchkin game, a new baseball mitt (he had been using one of dad's old ones), some books, 12 coupons to go geocaching and a Saturday space camp adventure this weekend. 
 For lunch Nathan went out with Grandma Pam and Ryan.  They got to go to Golden Corral (a tradition) and Grandma said they ate the place clean.  I was worried Nathan wouldn't be hungry for the pot roast dinner he had me make him but he IS my growing 12 year old so he devoured that as well.  He LOVES pot roast and mashed potatoes and is always asking me to make it.  For dessert we had Carmel Pear crumble.  It was delicious and I love that he likes and appreciates good food.
 
I took Nathan out to lunch Wednesday.  We had a great time and talked about lots of things.  He is so fun to talk to.  He told me about games they play at school, we even talked a little about girls and why he doesn't have a phone yet.  Nathan is just a great kid all around.  When I went to parent-teacher conferences last week his teacher had me laughing a ton.  I guess they have to write a bunch of papers at school (I don't know this because Nate gets most of it done at school).  But the topics of the papers are up to the kids.  The first topic question was "Write about something you want to learn more about."  The teacher told me a lot of kids wrote about similar things: sports, Hawaii (their teacher is from there) or celebrities.  Nathan chose the migration of birds.  Then they were supposed to write about a person they wanted to get to know more about and Nathan choose the 19th president of the USA, Rutherford B Hayes.  When Nathan had come home and asked me to get a book about him at the library I assumed the whole class was doing president reports.  But the teacher told me that no, Nathan had just come up with this on his own.  He showed me Nathan's paper and it said they Nathan picked Rutherford by deciding he wanted to do a president because their would be a lot of information, then he went to random.com to get a number.  He got #19 and looked it up and it was Hayes.  So funny.  I love this boy who is no longer a boy anymore.  He is a young man, a tween, and a great person!  Happy Birthday Nate!


1 comment:

Tracy said...

Nathan - what a great way to choose a topic - I always dreaded that part! When you come out - we were already planning to take you all to a special park where the birds migrate! Now it's a done deal. And tell the rest it is near a yummy penny candy store! Happy birthday. Love Nana