Thursday, February 13, 2014

No Media Week

 On Monday night we went out to one of our favorite family restaurants, Rib City Grill, to celebrate our week of being media free.  For Nathan's NOVA class at school they were challenged to be TV/video game/movie free.  They also suggested having your family doing it with them.  I was excited for the challenge.  Not because I hate video games as my kids would have you think, but because I had getting on Facebook more often that I was happy about.  And I knew that we could all get a lot more accomplished if she cut back.  It really helped that Nathan had a friend who was also doing the challenged because they played TONS of games together that week.  They build old models and put together some cool erector sets that Nathan hadn't touched in a long time.  Annabelle, who was the one who cried when I told her the challenge, survived not using the Ipad and while my play room is a mess, as is my house, she played great.   It isn't like my kids play that many video games or watch that much TV. They can earn up to 30 minutes a day for getting chores and homework done, and good behavior.  I got tons done that week and spent more time with the kids and Greg and just relaxing and reading.  I should of taken more pictures, but here are some random ones from that week.
 Ryan did really good, even when his friends came over.  They played Lego's and board games.  He made it to Friday night when he had a late night with friends.  HE was really concerned about not being able to go out to dinner with us if he played games that night.  I assured him that 5 days was huge for him.
 Three new Blurb books came in the mail.  I accidentally order our 6 month book too big.  It is giant, but it is beautiful.  I love these books and I love watching the kids excitedly look through them and exclaim over the fun times we have as a family.
 I was cooking one day and turned around and there was Callie, on the counter, chilling.  She is so silly. 
 We tried to play Jenga, and we actually got pretty far.  But after it fell she just wanted to build towers.  She was SO proud of hers!
Annabelle was Star of the Week.  She has a summer birthday so they always celebrate her birthday at a different time in the year.  Usually around February (her half birthday).  She was so cute up with her teacher and I love watching her come out of her shell a little more each year. 
 We finally had the TV back and the kids have LOVED watching the Olympics.  Every night at 7 they jump up from where ever they are and yell, "The Olympics are starting!"  It is fun family time together.  Funny thing is the kids assume we are just as good as Olympians.  Greg has been skiing some times so the kids assume he can do all that they see on TV.  I swim, and the other day Annabelle asked if I just choose to now go to the Olympics.  I love that they think we are so awesome.  I have enjoyed that now I don't get on Facebook as much as I used to.  I get more done and don't worry about everyone else's life as much as my own.

No comments: