Thursday, February 20, 2014

Valentines Day

 I have come to enjoy Valentine's Day more and more.  We have created some really fun family traditions that make this day very special.  First we have heart shaped pink pancakes.  We love pancakes at our house so the pink hearts make them even more wonderful.  Then the kids head off to school for their class parties.  Callie even had a little Valentine Party with her preschool and loved getting and giving valentines this year.  Nathan, my 6th grader, actually didn't pass out valentines this year.  I guess 6th graders are too old for that.  I did send him off with a bag of candy to pass out, becasue what 6th grader doesn't like candy?  I am Ryan's room mom and so I was in charge of his class party.  I worked it so that I could also stop in at Annabelle's party and say hi.  We had lots of fun playing games.  I love watching Ryan take Callie under his wing and play with her at each activity
After school is extra fun because the kids sort through their candy, look at the notes, laugh at some silly jokes and everyone is just in a good mood.  I do hate Fun Dip though.  I really, really do.  I wonder about the moms who buy it for their kids to pass out.  Don't they also hate it?  It is so messy and so sugary.  Oh well, it is only a couple times a year that I have to deal with it.
 This year I got some minky material for really cheap and so I decided to make the kids each a Valentine blanket.  Super simple, just minky on one side and chevron stripes on the other.  The kids knew I was working on a secret project but had no idea.  Callie even knew that I kept it in the corner in my room under a blanket and never peeked.  My kids are awesome that way.  They like surprises, just like I did as a kid.  They were all SO happy with their new blankets.  They are perfect movie or book snuggling blankets. 
 Annabelle has finally allowed other people to use her Rainbow Loom.  I bought a book on how to make some different designs and realized that it is horribly written.  It is much easier to watch a YouTube video.   This is one I made, but I have made the kids some with beads and flowers as well.
 We watched The Little Princess with Shirley Temple that night.  Callie obviously got tired and the movie was a little too loud.  We have a bunch of Shirley Temple movies and thanks to its name Annabelle picked the saddest one.  I had to assure her that the dad came back since she was on the brink of tears.  More dear sweet sensitive girl.
 I love the love notes the kids and Greg and I pass throughout the month leading up to valentines day.  The girls especially were always excited to see if their mailbox flag was up meaning they had new mail.  Greg also writes special little notes for each kid on Valentine's Day and they get that at breakfast.  It is the little traditions that I love, the little things that make us a family.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Valentines blankets!? What a cool mom! Thanks again Callie - I only got 2 so it made me SUPER happy. Annie - I LOVE Shirley Temple - we'll have to watch one together when you are here!