Saturday, August 31, 2013

Produce

Our garden has done really well this year.  We have had tons of zucchini, squash, peas, tomatoes (Big Boy, red grape and yellow grape), pumpkins, beets (these are stuck between the sunflowers which are surrounded by bees and so I have yet to pick them), nectarines, strawberries, raspberries, and green beans.  A few things didn't work so well: pickles, peppers, and carrots, but I am happy with what did. 

 The kids are great at helping me water and pick the produce.  I have loved watching the sunflowers grow but I had no idea how many wasps they would attract.  And I thought okay, we will have some bees and stuff up on the flower but they also swarm the leaves.  It is scary to water or pick things by them.  I wanted to take a picture of a leaf covered with them, but was afraid to get too close. 

This is the first year our nectarine tree has produced and we LOVED it.  They weren't too big, but they were delicious!  The tree was SO full it was leaning, way more than the picture.  We had lots of wasps by them, some eating the fruit, so I had to pick the last of the fruit at 6:30 am so the wasps weren't active.

No comments: